5.16.2008

Sample Sale Friday

For some people in my life, today was commencement.  For others, it was moving day.  For me, it was Sample Sale Friday!  

I spent a few short hours in the Fashion District of darling downtown Los Angeles hoping to find some bargains at the Twelfth Street by Cynthia Vincent and Myne sample sales.  After scoring free parking at a broken meter (which I called in, just to be sure I could park there.  Yay for good karma!), I wandered over to the Cynthia Vincent showroom where a dozen or so women were moving quickly through racks and racks of marked down designer duds.

My strategy at sample sales is always the same.  Walk into the room calmly, survey the situation, and then grab everything that might fit.  

After pushing aside hanger after hanger, I managed to accumulate quite a pile of clothes to try - silk sheath dresses and tops, linen pants, metallic shorts, slip dresses, cashmere sweaters and assorted other items.

Breaking my own sample sale rules, I wore a dress to the sale.  So, I had no choice but to strip down for the try-ons, attempting to be as discreet as possible in a room full of women wearing leotards and bodysuits.  (In my own defense, it was really hot out today!)

I was able to quickly eliminate some of the dresses, the metallic shorts and the cashmere sweater, but the linen trousers and one silk jersey top stood out as instant must-haves.  
Both pairs of white linen trousers I had grabbed fit me perfectly (miraculous, I know) - one was just the right length for flats, one was just the right length for heels.  I tried on each pair multiple times and finally decided, that for the bargain price of $50 each, I had to get both.  White linen trousers are a timeless summer staple that every woman needs, and finding two pairs of white linen trousers that fit can have no alternate explanation other than fate.  


After the success of the Cynthia Vincent sale, I was ready to call it a day.  But I dutifully hopped over to the Myne sample sale two blocks away.

Although the prices were extremely enticing, and most of the styles were up my usual alley, none of the silk dresses or tops truly caught my fancy.  But, for my readers, I tried a few of them on, and I can report that Myne items are well made and silky soft.  

Overall, a tremendously successful Sample Sale Friday.  

Photos: laist.com, ABNI

No comments: